20190204

Permanent Resident Card and Citizenship in Canada

So my Permanent Resident card (PR) is about to expire in Canada. I apply for my Citizenship here and I'm waiting the answer. Time pass and now my PR card is expire and I question myself if can I travel while I'm waiting for my Citizenship answer since I apply for it. Doing a bit of research I found that basically...


  • The Permanent Resident Card is just a proof of my status.
  • The Permanent Residen Card in Canada acts like a travel document. 
  • If my Permanent Residen Card expires, I don't loose my status.
  • My card don't need to be valid, but acts as travel document, as a passport will be necessary to enter the country.
  • It cost around 50$ CAD
  • Citizenship and the Permanent Residen Card are two different process. 

So in resumen, you should renew your Permanent Resident Card while you are inside Canada. Is way much easier.

No comments: